is capable of both cellular network and direct radio communication. It has also big solar panel for working in poor light conditions and pressure sensor (plus many typical sensors, including GPS, see below).Weight:
High quality data for your project
You get new research possibilities with so many sensors on your command:
- Geographical coordinates (GPS)
- Speed (GPS)
- Altitude (GPS)
- X axis
- Y axis
- Z axis
- Angular speed (speed of rotational motion) - measured using gyroscope
- X axis
- Y axis
- Z axis
- Terrestrial magnetism - measured using magnetometer (gives information about animal absolute orientation)
- X axis
- Y axis
- Z axis
- Light intensity
- Pressure sensor - both atmospheric pressure and hydrostatic (underwater)
Two powerful ways of communication
GsmRadioTag-M9 is capable of two ways of communication - direct radio link and GSM communication
Direct radio link
This is the same leading technology as in RadioTag-14. When using direct radio communication, data from tag is firstly downloaded to the base station. Then you can download data to your PC at any convenient moment (using USB cable):
Base station may operate autonomously even for months, being e.g. near the nest / at the bird colony. Base station is light device so it may be also carried by the operator - and this is more popular use case.
Downloading range in line-of-sight (no obstacles between base station and logger) : 5 kilometers (3.10 miles)
Please note that this is our standard testing range and all units are tested on this range. We have reports of successful downloads from greater distances.
Direct radio link is very useful when
- You are in proximity of animals for some time of the year, and want to save on GSM fees.
- You want to download data in area where is no GSM coverage.
- You want to download huge amounts of data, for example many accelerometer bursts (millions of data points). GsmRadioTag-M9 allows you to download records with GPS coordinates all the time through GSM, but wait with bursts download for radio connection with base station.
This scenario does not require using base station. Tag uses cellular towers (same ones as our cell phones do) and communication is through cellular network. Data is sent to our server, from which you can download using Internet. The best advantage of this method is that animal may be thousands kilometers from you and you can still get data from it.
GSM is very useful when:
- Animal is very far from you, outside of direct radio download range: through GSM (cellular) network you can exchange data with device, which is thousands of kilometers from you.
- You don’t want to go to the field to download data, but rather want to download it from the Internet using your computer / smartphone / tablet.
- You want to publish your tracking results in real time on the Internet. Our server allows you to make your results public (by default they are private of course). This may help to make bigger impact, if you decide to promote your project in social media for example.
Presence of mobile Internet is not required - and why it matters
Some GSM telemetry devices use purely mobile Internet for communication. This is OK in regions with dense and modern cellular network. However, there are many countries / regions where calls and SMS work, but mobile Internet does not. GsmRadioTag works in such areas, while devices based solely on mobile Internet do not.
General remarks to both of these methods (direct radio & GSM)
- Both radio & GSM allow to change configuration of your logger when it’s on animal.
- Every GsmRadioTag-M9 can use both of these methods. They can be combined at the same time.
Simple and cheap transmission fees
We have flat rate for the whole world: 5 eur per month per logger, for unlimited data amount. When considering cellular based systems, you should always verify transmission pricing - as we know that there are companies offering "on-demand" pricing, where you can easily be billed with 20 times higher fees!
Multiple features inspired by customers
Around 80% of our development is driven by customers’ suggestions
. Important examples of customer-inspired features in this logger are:
- Geofencing – you can set up to 2 zones with custom registration intervals. This is very helpful when you want to perform higher frequency GPS registration in certain areas. For example, conservationists use it to get better picture of animal behavior in proximity of human habitats. Of course there are many other possible applications: you can set more frequent registration in areas of special interest (e.g. water crossing, some migration episodes etc.) or you can use this feature to capture less positions in some areas if you are not interested in them.
- Custom registration intervals in selected hours – Imagine that your species sleeps at night (quite common scenario) and is active during the day. With this feature you can set for example to register only 1 position per hour during the night (to be sure that animal stayed at the same place during night) and 5-minute interval during the day (to normally register daily activity). This feature is also very useful if you know that your animal is highly active during selected hours (e.g. 2 hours at dawn and 2 hours at dusk). If that’s the case, you can set higher registration interval during those periods.
Various colors, enclosures & handles options
We provide various enclosures types.
To see more enclosure options, please visit Enclosure Gallery
||Logger described on this page, all enclosure variants have the same price.
|RadioTag-14 Base Station
||This is the same base station as for RadioTag-14, because these systems are fully compatible. If you have existing base station bought for RadioTag-14, you can use it with GsmRadioTag loggers. For these loggers, base station is not absolutely required. If you know that you want to download data only through GSM, you don't need to buy a base station.
Note: In these prices, you get all accessories needed for working with your devices
. Some vendors would charge you a lot for accessories, such as cables & antennas for the base station etc. In our pricing policy, above prices are all what you are going to pay for your devices.
Please contact us
Our shipping address can be found on our contact page.